Saturday, June 17, 2017

6/16 Oh Hi, Shinjuku

So Tokyo is big. Very big. 

We took the shinkansen to Tokyo, and we're currently staying in Shinjuku. Shinjuku is a ward in Tokyo, and according to Wikipedia is known for being a "major commercial and administrative center."

Basically, there's a dang skyscraper every 20 feet. 

We first made our way to our hotel. We're currently staying in a capsule hotel, which is pretty interesting. From what I heard, capsule hotels has just barely become available for women. Women get their own floor that requires a key code to get in. Also, there's an onsen here but only men can go to it. Rude, if you ask me. 

Anyway, that's a side note. 

The capsule hotel is actually pretty nice. My only complaint is that we have to keep everything in the locker room, so if I need something in my little capsule I have to climb down to get it. Plus the AC isn't the best. Other than that, it's pretty cosy! 


I didn't take any pictures with my actual camera, mainly because the streets were so crowded and I didn't want to risk taking more than I needed with me. 

Oh yeah, we're staying in Shinjuku on a Friday night. So when I say crowded, I mean it was crowded.

The group split into 2 - four of the guys went on their own and the other four of us plus our teacher decided to find somewhere to eat. We found this inexpensive restaurant that's on the same street as our hotel. The food and atmosphere of the place was great! It was done in a more Japanese-y style, but you used an iPad to order your food. I had some chicken and shu mai. The meat and wrappers in the shu mai were blended with each other, and the food just melted in your mouth. 

I thought I'd be losing weight while in Japan. Guess not. 


This was probably the best restaurant I have eaten in while in Japan so far. 

After we ate, we decided to explore Shinjuku a little bit. I think it's because I was already somewhat tired from all the traveling in the past 3 days, but looking at all the buildings and lights started making me a bit dizzy and some points. Still, it's definitely something worth seeing!




Oh yeah, ever heard of the Robot Restaurant? I first heard about it during a Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown show on CNN. Well, the Robot Restaurant is a 5 minute walk from the hotel I'm staying at. If it wasn't $80 to get in, I would honestly probably check it out.


Also, here's a funny story: So we're walking around with our teacher. She mentions to be careful because we might accidentally stumble upon the red light district. Well, I remembered seeing advertisements for host clubs and a few more adult places that we passed by, plus we're a five minute walk to the robot restaurant. I said "actually sensei, we might be in the red light district right now." Right then I notice a currency exchange place with the words "Welcome to Kabukicho!" written on top and I said "yep, we're in the red light district."

If you don't know, Kabukicho is one of the more well-known red light districts. And red-light districts are where all the adult things happen. We later passed by this one store with a large poster of a naked lady posing very erotically. Don't worry, all her private parts were censored out. I'm not too sure exactly what that store was selling (I don't know the legalities of prostitution in Japan).

We all turned around and got some boba instead. 


After this our teacher went back to the capsule hotel and we decided to explore around some more. We didn't stay out for too long though before getting exhausted and heading back to the hotel ourselves. 

And so that was it for today! I'm now back in my little capsule and relaxing a bit from the day. Talk to you tomorrow! 




No comments:

Post a Comment